Curator of the Antiques Collection of the History Museum Finish the sentence, 'Culture is...'
Culture is a set of knowledge, artistic achievements, beliefs and traditions that make up a system of moral values for the individual and for society.Name five books in your bookcase that you would recommend everyone to read:
1. Homer's Iliad. Homer is our everything, his treatise gives the best snapshot of true Greece, in all its manifestations from heroic Mycenaean Greece to simple Greece of the dark ages.
2. Gods, Graves and Scholars by C W Ceram. It is the best or at least one of the best books on archaeology and is a fascinating read too.
3. Russian History by V Kluchevskiy
4. A Study of History by Arnold J Toynbee. Arnold J Toynbee offers a general overview of various civilisations and explains the interplay between them, how they succeeded each other etc.
5. History of Early Christianity by I Sventsitskaya. This was the first book that I read about early Christianity; and today other books on the subject are available, some are more comprehensive, included translated ones. But back in the 1980s we did not have access to all those other books, and she introduced me to this unique subject.Which videos offered by museums now would you suggest people view today?
The History Museum Blog
: up to date information about artefacts stored in the museum. Mediaportal
: presentations about the collection, the history of the museum and its collections by museum staff, conversations with history curators.